Sunday 23 August 2015

Larch Tanner

      Here follows an admission that will severely damage my geek cred for all that end up reading this, but here we go; I had only ever played 1 game of D&D before this summer and I hated it. 

     If anyone is still reading; I can now say that 9 years later, I have played a second game with a completely different group of guys and I am completely hooked. The first game I had ever played was with a mix of LARPers, wargamers and general nerds and it was one of the most frustrating couple of hours of my life, with bickering, arguing and sulking going on around the table and it completely turned me off of the whole idea, but the second group is almost entirely non-gamers, made up of 3 guys who had never even heard of Warhammer when it came up in conversation, my normal LotR opponent (the only other wargamer of the group) and me, invited because I was a known nerd.
    d&d ranger ral partha larch tanner figure miniature

     The character I ended up playing was Larch 'The Hound of Wheathold' Tanner; a serf, turned folk hero, turned exiled ranger. The GM decided to create our characters himself to make sure we had diversity in our backgrounds and of all the backgrounds mine has to be my favourite, the guy is just great; chaotic good - my ideal alignment - and with loads of secrets, basically one hell of a backstory. Larch is a classic leather armoured ranger, who is more archer than front line fighter, although he does carry two swords to hold his own if he needs to jump in. But he needed a figure.. .


        The figure itself was an eBay buy and I am sure someone out there will identify it, but I think it might be Ral Partha (?), but as ever, there has been a lot of conversion work done to make the model fit the image I was given by my GM. There is a second sword at his waist from the Fireforge foot serjeants plastic box, a backpack, rope and quiver from the Frostgrave plastic box and a metal bow from gripping beast. 


      I'm really excited about using this guy in the next part of the campaign at the weekend, which is something I really never saw myself saying.

Thanks for reading

6 comments:

  1. Great job Mike, should be fun steering this guy round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Really excited and that's just be made worse by being so pleased with the figure.

      Delete
  2. Looks a really nice job you've done on the figure.
    Got to say I've had more fun with pen and paper gaming than wargaming, though I play through the post so have no contact with other (sulky) humans - a mixed blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. I think of both occasions it was the people around the table that had the biggest impact on the game itself - making or breaking the day. So you might be on to the right answer with your pen and paper gaming.

      Delete
  3. I'm almost certain that's a Grenadier figure sculpted by Julie Guthrie. She produced some of the absolute best generic fantasy personality figure sculpts back in the day, I wish they were still available.

    Lovely conversion & paint job you've done on it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. It's good to put a company name to the figure as well.

      Delete