Wednesday 1 November 2017

Form the shield-wall

   So, another weekend and another trip to a Viking ship museum, this time in Denmark, add in the weird fact that most of my normal Bolt Action opponents are buying Saga armies all of a sudden and my Dark Ages painting motivation is in full swing. I had always planned to replace my Viking and Saxon armies with new, better painted models and with the initial stages of my Viking army finished, my attention is now on getting my Saxons (can double as Anglo-Saxons or Anglo-Danes) ready for the table. Like my Vikings I am painting in batches of models from a mix of units and the aim of this first stage is an army that can double as a full 6 point Saga force and a full 24 point Lion Rampant army.


   With no further ado, here are the results of the first few batches, a mix of figures from either Gripping Beast or Footsore Miniatures.

 Warriors/levy.

 Levy archers.

Hearthguard.

Thanks for reading, and please check out my wife's blog post on our August trip to Oslo, it is worth it for the photo of me paddling furiously in a fjord.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Those figures look amazing! Great colors and those shields... incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word Mike, you are really churning out some top notch work at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. The joys of being inspired!

      Delete
  3. Ah, Roskilde! :-)
    A post which has warmed the Mjolnir pendant on my chest!! You've done an outstanding job on those mini's Mike - top drawer stuff.
    Are you using Lion Rampant "straight", or with any sort of dark ages / shieldwall mods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Addict, I appreciate that.
      Basically straight, Lion Rampant is so flexible it makes the period feel right without too much modification. However, my mate Neil is proposing we lower shooting to half attack over half range as it can be too deadly otherwise.

      Delete