Thursday 4 January 2018

2018 the key projects

   This post is as much me planning 2018 as it is making sure I am accountable for my proposed plans. As the name of my blog suggests, I am a hobby butterfly, to steal someone else's phrase, and find it hard to see a project to conclusion without another one becoming the new shiny. So my plan for this year was to list the big projects I would like to focus on in 2018 to motivate myself to get them done and so I can't just brush them under the carpet and see them as next year's problem again.

1. Napoleonic British army for Sharp Practise;
   It took me a good couple of years to paint my French force, doing a couple of units every 6 months, which is a speed I can't continue at if I ever want to get these armies onto the table. I doubt I will be able to paint all 40 odd British redcoats in one long chain of blog posts but it would be good to see them done within the next 6 months rather than a few every 6 months.

2. 15mm Roman + Germanic armies for Sword & Spear;
   My 15mm armies were bought a good couple of years ago as part of a Kickstarter at a heavily discounted price, but the thing that has held me up the most is what base size to use for my blocks as every historical game uses different ones. I know I want to build these armies for Sword and Spear but I still need to work out what sizes are best for my models.

3. Sons of Horus for 30k;
   As mentioned in my end of year post, this is an army that I would like to see a lot of use out of this year, but as it isn't painted my personal gaming rules mean it won't see the tabletop until it is, which means I need to get a move on. I have found a painting tutorial on youtube that I like the look of, so it is just a case of getting started,

4. 5th company Aurora Knights for 40k;
   An army that I doubt with see much table time, especially with another space marine project on the same list, but it is an army that I have been working on in fits and starts for so long I just want to see the core part of it finished, so I can add units at my leisure.

5. WW2 Hungarians for Bolt Action;
   I have entered my Hungarians into my next Bolt Action tournamant in March, so I have done the important thing and given myself a solid deadline, plus I would like to get some practice games in with them too.

6. Last few Saga armies:
   Yeah, last few . . . But as Saga uses relatively small model counts and I haven't gone anywhere near as heavy on these as my Saxon/Viking forces they should be do-able in a couple of weeks each if my hobby time allows.

   Actually, it has to be said, that list is scarier than I initially thought it would be, with Gangs of Rome coming in January/February, even if each project is finished within a month I am still looking at having my painting desk full until the end of July and I doubt most of these are that short an amount of painting, however, if I can stay focused it should lead to a good year in terms of lowering my lead mountain, getting to play some rule sets I have wanted to try for ages and stopping spending on the next distraction.

Normal blogging will resume next time. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Some awesomeness coming in 2018 then. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Simon. Should be a good one if I can manage half of this.

      Delete